Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Fell

My adoration of Mr. Inbetween has sparked a newfound interest in Australian cinema and television. (Like back when I became hooked on all things Belgian, I started off with Matthias Schoenaerts and from his films I came upon a plethora of other brilliant actors. Down the proverbial rabbit hole I fell and discovered the talents of Veerle Baetens, Wouter Hendrickx, Koen De Bouw, Geert Van Rampelberg, Johan Heldenbergh, Jan Decleir, Barbara Sarafian, and Filip Peters, to name but a few.) Of the Aussies featured in Mr. Inbetween, I was really most impressed with Matt Nable as Dave and I definitely dug Kieran Darcy-Smith as Vinnie. (What an endearing character; I wish we'd seen more of him.) Sidebar: I've watched a handful of Australian films and a couple TV series and one that stood out was Black Snow on Acorn, featuring an old favourite, Travis Fimmel. It was so nice to see him play someone that wasn't an utter jackass in a forgettable role (I'm talking about Baytown Outlaws, by the way, which was pure rubbish.). Anyways....on to Fell. Out of everything I've seen over the past couple months, Fell sort of took my breath away. It was absolutely gorgeous; the cinematography was lush and completely stunning. The story of a father coping with the death of his daughter really showcased Nable's immense talent. He's one of those cats that doesn't have to say anything to let the audience in on exactly what his character is feeling. His subtlety in Fell is pure perfection. I'm so glad I was able to see his beautiful performance. 
(photo kidnapped from letterboxd)

No comments: