Monday, December 25, 2023

2023 Holiday Shows

Falling for Christmas - This one was recommended to me by Miss Lucy and I instantly saw why. It's very silly at times and heavy on slapstick, but Lindsay Lohan was good and she made this Hallmarky flick feel like a nice start to the season of holiday flicks. The scenery of Utah was spectacular and the moments in between the wacky antics were actually sweet. 

* The Nanny: The Christmas Show - Fran Drescher is a fave of mine and no holiday season is the same without this sweet holiday episode of her famous series.

Jack Frost - Definitely a film made for kids, who I think would get a kick out of a wacky plot where a dead father comes back a year later in the form of a snowman. For me, it was worth getting through the cringey scenes just to see Henry Rollins drive a mini van and coach hockey. Hysterical!

Babes in Toyland - Barely Christmas-y and pretty lame, I watched this Disney flick purely to see the luminous Ann Jillian when she was a wee lady. Her turn as Bo Peep was the only thing that made this movie watchable. 
BONUS: A Christmas Carol - With Vincent Price as narrator and host!

* Nativity 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey? - I went in with low expectations but this movie was really cute! Silly as hell but Martin Clunes was his usual wonderful self. 
BONUS: Long Island Medium three Christmas eps - ha!

Falling in Love - A wonderfully easy-paced film about two people, who happen to be married, meeting while Christmas shopping for their spouses and bumping into eachother on the commuter train from Jersey to NYC. Robert De Niro and Meryl Streep were wonderful together and I loved the realistic feel of their relationship. Not a typical holiday flick but I say it counts!

Something from Tiffany's - I'm not sure how I came across this film but it was on my to-watch list for 2023. I liked it, especially the dapper leading man, Kendrick Sampson, and his adorable on-screen daughter, Leah Jeffries. It was a nice Christmas-y romance.

Christmas in Rome - Lacey Chabert is the Queen of Hallmark and this was one of her best. Seeing Rome again was a lovely bonus and the storyline was really done well. 

Hank Zipzer: Christmas in July - Henry Winkler is beyond adorable and this Brit series based on his fab books that he wrote with Lin Oliver was cute. 

Our Christmas Mural - This was a new Hallmark that Mum and I watched. It was pretty good, actually.

The Christmas Box - The night before I had finished listening to the audiobook version and was lucky enough to find the TV movie based on Richard Paul Evans' novella for freesies on Hoopla. I'm not a fan of Christian based stories, but this was one of the ones that didn't go overboard and it was a decent holiday show.
BONUS: The Christmas Gift - A nice 80s holiday flick with family favourite, John Denver.

♥ A Christmas Carol - As far as I'm concerned, there is no better Scrooge than George C. Scott.
BONUS: ** Babycakes

* Miracle on 34th Street - I know it's horrifying of me to prefer the Mara Wilson version over the Natalie Wood but I do. I love, love, love her as Susan and Dylan McDermott is so dashing, plus Richard Attenborough as Santie Claus?! And the cameo of Allison Janney as the classic New Yawker mom who confronts the owner of Macy's, errr...Cole's Department Store. Sheer perfection.
BONUS: Time for Us to Come Home for Christmas - Hallmark has so many films with different titles - Time for Me, You, Us, Them, Him, and this year, Her, but this one with Lacey Chabert is really the best and the only one to watch. 

* The Christmas Train - I re-listened to Tim Matheson read the novel earlier this month and had to re-watch the Hallmark show. It was good, especially Danny Glover as Max Powers. Perfect casting. 


Noel - Great cast featuring Susan Sarandon, Penélope Cruz, Robin Williams, Paul Walker, and Alan Arkin. I'd never seen this before but adore watching Susan Sarandon and Penélope Cruz. They are both immensely talented and ravishingly beautiful. It was a good movie, but those two gals were wonderful.

♥ One Special Night - Get rid of those whiny daughters and keep this film solely on the two leads and you have sheer perfection. I always fast forward the parts without James Garner and/or Julie Andrews and therefore have a lovely holiday viewing treat!


Hart to Hart: The Hartbreak Kid - Meh. Not my fave episode from the series but it had some good moments and it's always good to see RJ and Stef as Mr. and Mrs. H. 
BONUS: 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter: All I Want for Christmas - This series was a very typical sitcom that without John Ritter would have been utterly forgettable. Still, I did like watching it on Disney+ and even though I love Jim Garner, I couldn't bring myself to watch the episodes without Ritter.

* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Without Henry Winkler's charm, this movie would have been just another cookie-cutter Hallmark Christmas movie. 
BONUS: Hank Zipzer's Christmas Catastrophe - A pretty sweet, although very silly at times, special of the Hank Zipzer series Today was a double whammy of Henry Winkler!

♥ Bluey: Verandah Santa & Christmas Swim - This show's cuteness never ends!

* A Miracle in Bethlehem, PA - This was a new Hallmark that I watched with Mum. It had some religion in it but it wasn't non-stop and it was a decent show.

* Punky Brewster: Yes, Punky, There Is a Santa Claus - Not as good as the episode with Andy Gibb as the dreamy piano teacher, but c'mon, it's Punky. Totally adorable.

♥ It's a Wonderful Life - Hands down one of the best films ever made. 

♥♥ The Gathering - My absolute favourite Christmas movie that I never tire of seeing. I decided to save this for Christmas Day. I used to daydream as a kid that one day I would grow up and live in a town like the one in the film and have a house like the Thorton's where all of the kids would come each holiday to celebrate with me and my perfect husband. 

* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: