Sunday, May 8, 2022

Saving Grace

The evening of July 31st 2000 I picked up Marina, then Xavier, got Donna and then Aunt Berne and we five headed to Bryn Mawr to see and adore Saving Grace at the sneak peek showing. At the time I was working at Pier 1 in Ardmore and if memory serves, someone from the theatre up the street popped in and dropped off three tickets (each good for two people). Not one of us had heard of the movie or knew anything about it. From the cast I had seen Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies and Xave and I knew Craig Ferguson from The Drew Carey Show. Every single one of us loved the film and the Spirit in the Sky scene where Tristan Sturrock's character sees the bright light from Lilac House's greenhouse damn near killed Aunt Berne. I had never seen her laugh that hard and that made everyone else in the theatre howl even louder. Last night, in the hopes of healing myself with humour, I dug out my region 2 copy of the film and tossed it in the player. Oh it is still such a great movie! And Martin Clunes (♥♥) as the doctor was, what else?, adorable.



No comments: