Thursday, May 26, 2022

Ray Liotta


This was a real shock. Bishop texted me this afternoon to let me know the news that Ray Liotta had passed away today. I immediately messaged Marina since she has had a longtime crush on him. We are getting together Saturday night and plan to celebrate Ray's life with LesbiVeggies grub and a marathon of our most cherished Ray Liotta films. 

Back when I first signed up for Instagram I followed only two celebs: Ray Liotta and Liv Tyler. Ray didn't post a lot but this was one that I saved and it endeared him to me even more.



Liotta has had so many truly great performances and here are ten of my personal faves:

Corrina, Corrina - I remember seeing this in the theatre and just loving it. Not tons of chemistry between Ray and Whoopi but his character was so damn loveable and Tina Majorino was beyond adorable and turned in a heartbreakingly brilliant performance.

• Dominick and Eugene - I think I originally saw this movie when I was in high school in the very early 90s. It starred Ray Liotta, Tom Hulce, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Todd Graff. Tom Hulce was extraordinary in that scene where he is struck dumb by witnessing a horrific event. Even now, just thinking of it I get teary eyed. Oh and Ray was the frustrated brother who cares for Tom Hulce's Nicky. It was so good. I wish it was available on streaming. It's a gem of a film.
• Modern Family - Ray's little cameo where he's watering his lawn made me scream when I saw it was him. Such a surprise and absolutely hilarious.
(I recorded the above off my TV purely to re-watch again and again because it's so, so funny!)
• Field of Dreams
• Cop Land
• Blow
• A Place Beyond the Pines
• Unlawful Entry
Honourable mention!: Operation Dumbo Drop 

And in closing, this is a clip from The Bonnie Hunt Show (Now this is a show that needs to be streaming somewhere. I mean, come on. Bonnie Hunt? She's wonderful.) that really shows what a laid back and warm man Ray Liotta was. Every time I watch it and it gets to this certain moment I get the chills. He was THAT good. 


(Bad things come in threes: First we lost Tony Fitzjohn then Ray and finally Andy Fletcher. So very sad that they are all no longer here.)

No comments: