Wednesday, June 30, 2021

May 2021 Books

How Y'all Doing? ¹ by Leslie Jordan
Siddhartha ¹ by Hermann Hesse - Clearly I listened to this because of Derek Jacobi. It was sorta interesting but I really couldn't get into it. I am so NOT an intellectual.

Tab Hunter: Confidential by Tab Hunter - I bought this book when it first came out, back when all I knew of Tab Hunter was his role in Battle Cry. (Although I only had eyes for Aldo Ray when I was a kid, rather than Tab.) Finally after years had gone by and I'd seen a few more of his films and especially the documentary on his life, I added his memoir to my list of books that I had to read in 2021. It was a fast read and made me love this fella all the more. A devoted friend, son, and brother, a damn hard worker, and according to Linda Darnell, a nice kisser. Definitely one I'll pick up again.


The Girl With The Curious Hair ¹ by David Foster Wallace - This was my least favourite of anything I'd read by DFW. The only one out of the ten short stories I genuinely liked was Little Expressionless Animals.

Let Love Rule ¹ by Lenny Kravitz - His childhood in New York was fascinating but once he moved to California it all went downhill. It just became unbearable. A high school age Lenny who was apparently so enlightened that he could intuit the inner turmoil of a fourteen year old prostitute he befriended and hid in his bedroom? He tried to seem wise and a feminist then says "chasing pussy" - ugh. Oh and all the religious stuff and mispronouncing the word incomparable. It held such promise but in the end I couldn't wait for him to just shut up.

♥ Hank Zipzer: Niagara Falls, or Does It? ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver - I first read/listened to this book back in May of 2019 and it was such fun to hear it all over again. I sincerely wish that the Wink read every one of his books because he is the perfect narrator to bring his stories to life.
* Clue Jr.: The Case of the Secret Message by Parker C. Hinter - This was one of the books I picked up at Baldwin's for Jackson (and me). Jax read it first and said it was okay. And it was cute, just a few stories that circle around child versions of the Clue characters and mini mysteries to solve.

 I Got a 'D' in Salami ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: