Monday, March 29, 2021

February 2021 Books

♥ The Thorn Birds ¹ by Colleen McCullough
* The Jeweled Daughter by Anne Maybury
* The End of the Affair ¹ by Graham Greene - I had seen the film version of this novel but remembered very little, so it felt very new and fresh going in to this. Colin Firth's performance was magnificent and it was easy to imagine every moment described and get sucked right in to the lives of the three main characters. 

Bid Time Return (AKA Somewhere in Time) ¹ by Richard Matheson - I had listened to Scott Brick narrate this gorgeous story back in 2018 when it was available through one of my library apps. I loved it so much I bought a physical book and then the audiobook off Audible. Even though I knew the ending from the film and from reading it before it still devastated me. I was a sobbing mess for the last half hour. Oh it's so good.
* Undaunted Courage ¹  by Stephen Ambrose - I loved learning about all that went in to the Lewis and Clark expedition, especially the importance of York, who one never really hears about. (Surprise, surprise.) I own a physical copy of Stephen Ambrose's detailed account but really enjoyed the audiobook that I purchased off Audible. 
* I Love the Bones of You ¹ by Christopher Eccleston - I really only knew of Christopher Eccleston from 28 Days Later and the season he was Doctor Who, but I love me a memoir and this one intrigued me because it was to focus heavily on how he was shaped by his father. His dad wasn't perfect but he genuinely loved Chris and it was so touching when he said how his father looked forward to the times where he would sit and read to his son. So often dads seem to phone it in and just tolerate their role (or maybe that's just my own experience) rather than find the joy in as many moments as possible. Glad I bought this from Audible as I know I'll be listening to it again.

Whose Body? 
¹ by Dorothy L. Sayers - I could not get into the story; I think I was too distracted because I truly remember nothing except that a body was found in a tub and the narrator's voice for the butler had me in absolute stitches. Down the line I may give it another shot, maybe on a long drive where I can really tune in and focus.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: