Monday, March 1, 2021

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

I remember so vividly sitting in the darkness of Theatre N in Wilmington with Kathryn and watching this film. It was June 4th, 2011. I thought of the person that left a red outline of their hand on the wall of that cave. I thought of how they could never have possibly conceived that 32,000 years later a strange, fearful, and unusual girl would be seated in silence in a dark room, surrounded by two dozen others, on the opposite side of the world, an ocean away, watching a German director show the hand print they created. I thought of the owner of that hand. I wanted to know were they male or female. What was their life like? Did they experience joy? What drove them to leave a mark of themselves on that wall for me to see? Over a span of so many years that it's nearly inconceivable to contemplate. How does one comprehend 32,000 years? What was the air like then? And water, my god, how did the water taste? There are so many questions left unanswered and pondering them is in some strange way, fulfilling. Questioning the unknown propels me to continue, hoping that one day I may have the answers.

(photo kidnapped from billboyheritagesurvey)

No comments: