Friday, February 28, 2020

January 2020 Books

* You ¹ by Caroline Kepnes - Pax was watching a show based on a series of books and recommended them to me, so I got the first of Caroline Keypnes books on Joe - You. I really liked it, it was well written and the narrator, Santino Fontana, was exceptional. But Joe isn't a good guy when it all comes down to it. I'm glad I gave You a shot, but I'm not really interested in reading the rest of the series. If you are into serial killer novels with a twisted but sort of likable lead, well then this book is right for you!

* Horrorstör ¹ by Grady Hendrix - Interesting plot-line of an Ikea-esque store with a dark underbelly that feels like the Upside Down in Stranger Things.

Accidental Feminist ¹ by M.G.Lord - Totally regret buying this off Audible. It had promise but aside from opening my eyes to some of Taylor's films that I hadn't seen, it wasn't all that great. At least that's how I felt.

♥♥ Absolute Pandemonium ¹ by Brian Blessed - One of the greatest audiobooks I have ever heard. Right up there with The Exorcist and John Waters' Role Models.

A Good Marriage ¹ by Stephen King - Ugh, I so regret listening to the audiobook version of this. The narrator was dreadful. She made the female lead sound soooo dumb. I could hardly finish it.

* This Is Just My Face ¹ by Gabourey Sidibe - So good!! I really only knew Gabby from her performance in Precious. I was so moved by Sapphire's novel Push and was hesitant to see the film, but Ms. Sidibe effing nailed it. Her memoir proves what a funny, cool, real, and bad ass babe she really is.

* I.M. ¹ by Isaac Mizrahi - Another great memoir this month, this time from my fave fashion designer.

Gemini by Stella Andromeda - I picked this up with Kayla when we went to that book shop near Wing's Castle last year. It was fun to see how much I'm like my Astrological sign. One of these day's I'll really get into it and work on my birth chart....

The Perfume Burned His Eyes ¹ by Michael Imperioli - What a wonderfully unique story by Michael Imperioli, who read it beautifully. A young teen in the 70s who sorta kinda befriends Lou Reed and his then girlfriend Rachel and how they intertwine in his life for a brief period. So good.
¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: