Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Untied

I love a good memoir, especially when it's someone that I have known for as long as I can remember. This book, like Martin Short's I Must Say, is a book that should be heard and not read. Meredith Baxter wasn't reading a book to me, she was telling me her life's story. I never for a second felt that she wasn't sitting beside me, confiding in me, making me laugh, making me sad, and making me love and admire her more and more. She's just so damn honest about her life and her reflections on her childhood, marriages, addictions, and her work. A few years back I was going through all my old diaries, and I found the page from when I watched part of Kate's Secret at age ten. I wish I had saved this page or at least taken a photo of it but basically I said that I watched this show about a woman who, and if memory serves, quote, stuffs herself, goes to the bathroom and barfs it all back up end quote. I think the final line of my diary mentioned something like gross but so sad. I am certain the only reason I watched Kate's Secret was because Elyse from Family Ties was in it and I always liked her. I fear that Family Ties may not have held up so well over the years and so I wanna not revisit it and thereby keep my memory of it being the best show on TV. Ms. Baxter is a fine and versatile actor and I'm so glad she's still out there working the hustle. Oh and the best part of the book is the happy ending. Can't beat that.


No comments: