Friday, September 27, 2019

What I Love About Ashlee

I never would have imagined that the little baby that looked frighteningly similar to Jonathan Winters would one day become one of my closest friends and someone who knows me better than anyone. We've been true friends since she was a teenager when we would have auntie/niece times together, and we have only become closer as each year passes. This year we both made it clear that we needed to make it a point to see more of each other, at least once a month. We kept that promise (except for April when I was abroad) and have hung out 14 Friday nights and one whole day (for Pride in NYC) so far. Below is a list of just a few of the reasons why she is my second skin.

- When I need to rant she always joins in with an "are you serious?" or "what a jerk!" or "that's bullshit". She doesn't try to show me the other side of things or get all preachy because she knows that once I get it out of my system and finish my diatribe, I'll see reason and once again become calm and centered. This quality is paramount because I know I can turn to her and she will always, always, always have my back no matter what.
- She keeps me informed about all things in her life and her family's lives. Like when Avery started to play peek-a-boo, Ash sent me the video. Or when Bailey suddenly had bright green poo, or when Sean got seriously sick a couple years ago, she immediately called to let me know what was going on. This means that I am important to her and she wants to share every aspect of her life with me, from the big stuff to the little and everything in between.
- Ashlee answers my text messages in a timely fashion. If it isn't within minutes, it's within an hour or so, usually once the kids are asleep or playing and she has a moment. The times where it isn't until the next day, she immediately starts off her reply with an apology and an explanation. Is this necessary? Of course not. But it's like a thank you note. It's a nice way for her to reaffirm that she wasn't ignoring me or forgetting about me and that I matter to her.
- She is the only one of my friends who had children and continued to keep me in her life. I don't have kids or a spouse, so a lot of my once close friends and I drifted apart once they married and started a family. This, quite frankly, sucks. It means, in my world, that I was a great placeholder and friend to have only during a certain period of their lives. Now, I'm not great with babies, but I do like kids, and I like spending time with Ashlee and the girls, but I truly appreciate that Ash still makes it a point to talk to me and spend time with me. This, once again, shows that I am an integral part of her life and that she wants me in it even though I am single and childless. She recognises that I had value when she was five and eleven and sixteen and twenty and now at twenty-five. That what we have is for life and like a marriage, you work at it. You take the time to text and FaceTime and call and spend time with that person. I absolutely love this about Ashlee and I am beyond grateful to have her in my life.
- We have very little in common but we are never at a loss for words. I can't even tell you what we talk about. She doesn't watch many movies or any of the TV shows I like, she's not interested in music or the arts or reading but she and I have what the Irish call good craic.
- She is the following list of things that I also love:
crass
loyal
loving
affectionate
laughs easily
has thee world's most beautiful blue eyes
dependable
open minded
caring
compassionate
funny
warm
thoughtful
genuine
an outstanding mother
clean (her home is immaculate)
loves animals!!
follows @cheapoldhouses IG account (it's so good and we love to send messages on our fave fixer-uppers)
she's got great hair
cute as can be
good listener
fun to be with
a great travel-mate
sincere
confident
love-able
always willing to try new things (including vegan grub!)
kind
and absolutely-positutely an ideal confidante









 





 





No comments: