Sunday, September 8, 2019

August 2019 Books

* Transcendence ¹ by Norman E. Rosenthal - I wanted to learn a bit more about Transcendental Meditation and this book was a good start. I wish I had the fortitude to try meditation but I can never stick to it. There's a TM place not far from Mum's house, so at least there's an option...time will tell!

* Nevertheless ¹ by Alec Baldwin - I love a good memoir and listening to Alec Baldwin describe his childhood home hooked me right from the get-go. Really well written and super-interesting.

* The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ¹ by Robert Louis Stevenson - I had read this book not so long ago and found it confusing and kinda dull. But then I saw an audiobook version read by Richard E. Grant (♥♥) and thought I'd give it another try. It's really good! Richard is a wonderful narrator and I'd love for him to read more classics.

* Duel ¹ by Richard Matheson - Just a little Richard Matheson short story that was pretty good, even though I knew the plot from seeing the film version back in high school. I still remember renting the VHS from B&C Video in my old hometown and talking to Chris (he was the C in B&C) about it and I can still hear him saying, "Dennis Weaver better git back in that lil' red car!"
The World's Worst Teachers ¹ by David Walliams - Eh. Definitely, at least for me, the least fun David Walliams book I've read yet.
* Elevation ¹ by Stephen King - I read this book back in June, but saw it was available in audio form and read by Stephen King. Yeah, I loved it all over again. Just a simply charming story and definitely one of my favourite King books.
Is There Still Sex in the City? ¹ by Candace Bushnell - I could give a glib answer to this question but I'd rather say nothing at all.

* I Shudder ¹ by Paul Rudnick - I loved the film Jeffrey and for some inexplicable reason I always confuse Paul Rudnick with Paul Mazursky. I know, I know. HOW?! Anyway, this book make me LOL more often than not and was a nice lift after the last book,

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: