Monday, April 13, 2015

Back to Baldwin's

I finally had the opportunity to see Miss Kay and drive out to Baldwin's Book Barn yesterday. I love that place. I especially love the charming gent that welcomes you as you step through the doorway and into the coolest bookstore east of the Mississippi. He's wonderful. (He even took that dreadful George Chuvalo book off my hands. It had been sitting in my trunk for the last six months. Good riddance!)

My mission was to find a nice hardback copy of Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. I really liked that book and feel that my 1¢ copy that I scored off Amazon needs to be donated and updated with something deserving of a place on my humble bookshelves. I did not find one. I was also looking for some James Joyce and I did manage, with Kay's help, of course, to locate a 1969 paperback in really good condition for only four bucks. The next time I go back, maybe with Bishop or Marina, I will have a much longer list ready so that I can walk outta there with my arms chock full of fab finds.
 
After two months without seeing one another, spending the afternoon driving around West Chester with one of my favourite ladies on a gorgeous day was the best part of the day, hands down.

No comments: