Saturday, August 9, 2014

Best Sister of All Time

I am the only daughter. I have three brothers and I have always wanted a sister. Someone to have my back and share clothes with and more importantly, share with me my thoughts and my world. When my cousin, Marina, was in eighth grade she was to have her Confirmation and asked if I would be her sponsor. Growing up Catholic, the reason most kids like their Confirmation is because they get to choose an extra name for themselves and pick their favourite person to stand next to them at the ceremony. I chose Caryn and my godmother as sponsor and Marina chose Bartholomew-Josaphat and me as her sponsor. Getting that call from Marina is what kicked off the most intensely beautiful and important relationship in my life. She was thirteen and I was twenty-one.
Her senior year of high school we were both the same size and finally, I got to share clothes with my sister. I still have her tie dye hippie bell bottom jeans and one day I will be brave enough to wear them again.
Marina is the only person in my life who I feel is legitimately interested in what I have to say. I can tell her about whatever weirdo new obsession I have and she genuinely listens to me and responds with wonder and wants to hear more. I can confide in her with complete confidence and know that she will never judge me. She is supportive and encouraging like no one else I know.
Over the years we've had our disagreements, which are usually my fault. My insecurities and inability to communicate can be impossible to deal with, but Marina never gives up on me and most importantly on us. She knows how to handle me and my meltdowns. I feel nothing but unconditional love from her and that is something that I have so needed and I am incredibly lucky to have her in my life.

No comments: