Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Born...again

Clearly I am an oddball weirdo. If you've read any of my posts, you are already very much aware of this. A few months back I had asked my mum what she would name me if I decided to transition from female to male. It should be stated that I asked this as a purely hypothetical question. I may look like a dude but I am female to the core. Most transgendered people, I've found, will take their birth name and spin it to fit their new gender. Paula might become Paul and Mike might become Michele. The option for me would be to go with the name Lee, but that just does not feel right. So, being as she was the one who selected my name at birth, I asked my mum what she would pick. Originally in '76 I was to be named Michael but now that she would be naming me as an adult that she knows very well, Michael just didn't fit. The prospect of providing me with an entirely new name had her stumped for a good long while. "How about Caleb? Jeremy? Colin? Ethan? John?" Last night I gave her a 10 minute window to think on it and then she had to give me an answer. Champ that she is, Mama came up with one before the deadline. She chose Dylan Kiernan. Not bad, huh? She claims that Dylan is not after Bob Dylan, but I suspect that subconsciously it was, and Kiernan is an old family name. Obviously from the Irish side of the family. The best part is that at no point did my mother think this was the dumbest question on earth. That just shows how she has perfectly adjusted to life with a wacko for a daughter. Cheers to you, Mum!

No comments: