Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hitchcock Double Feature


At noon today, Isabella and I settled in under a bazillion blankets in my home with no heat and watched back to back Hitchcock films. So sad that at fifteen no one had introduced her to any of the director's work. We started with my favourite, Rear Window, and followed it with North by Northwest. I so enjoy watching films that I love so dearly with someone experiencing it for the first time. When Grace Kelly was in Thorwald's apartment and then we see him round the corner in the hallway heading toward home, Bella gasped out loud. She really got into the characters and was so focused and anxious throughout the last fifteen minutes.

In North by Northwest she said, "Men today should all wear suits." I pointed out how Cary Grant's suit was perfection and that in the 1950s men looked so dapper and women were all so poised in stockings, heels, and long skirts. "No," she continued, "I don't wanna wear that stuff. I just think that men should have to all wear suits." It's good to dream, kiddo...

 
 

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Obviously no one else is as cool as you to provide to introduction to Mr. Hitchcock. I absolutely know what you're talking about when you describe introducing films you love to someone and watching them watch it for the first time. A truly great gift which comes around all too seldom.

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice a book by a certain Mr. Sterling Hayden in that photograph of the DVDs.

Star said...

I knew if anyone would spot that, it would be YOU! Oh, Sterling...how I wish he had written more!