Friday, January 31, 2014

A Hard Day's Night

Today at my Mum's I put on the film A Hard Day's Night to listen to (and sometimes sneak a peek at) as I worked (tried to, anyways). This film is a family favourite and my mother was definitely a die hard Beatles fan growing up. When I was little she would always have music playing. Mostly the radio, but sometimes she'd spin some of her favourite records. Even though by the time I came around The Beatles had long since split up, I was raised on their music as well as everything they produced as individual artists. Mum would put on the Stones, The Bee Gees, Streisand, Johnny Mathis, and The Band, to name a few, but nothing was as wonderfully exciting as The Beatles.

George was my mother's favourite and we still reminisce about when she went down the block to the movie theatre at age twelve and for only twenty five cents she and Rita sat all day watching the film eleven and a half times. The half was because it was getting late and she needed to be home in time for dinner. Oh how she would sigh each time George was on screen while Rita screamed for Paul. As for me, I fancied John from the start. He was silly and off the wall and what nine year old girl doesn't like that? Plus he wrote Woman which my mother had on a 45 and I just loved that song. Still do.

Years ago I snapped a picture of the inside cabinet in my maternal grandparents' home. It's the one that has all the marks along the side for each child and grandchild's heights as they grew. But the best is that it has all of The Beatles' names written out in my Mum's teenage girl handwriting. Please note that George's name is clearly scrawled with great love and adoration. No surprise there. 


No comments: