Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Anne Sexton


Growing up in middle class suburban Souf Joisey, clearly I was a brooding, somber, melancholy youth. I discovered Ms. Sexton in high school and immediately connected with her dark, mysterious writing. I've since come out of my depression, but Anne's work still amazes me and I'm grateful to have had her through all those shitty years.

Here is a list of the many dog-eared pages:

The Double Image
The Truth the Dead Know
Young
The Starry Night
The Abortion
Sylvia's Death
Wanting to Die
The Addict
The Touch (I absolutely love this)
In Celebration of My Uterus
Again and Again and Again
The Other
Rats Live On No Evil Star
The Fury of Cocks (another favourite)
When Man Enters Woman
Cockroach
Seal
Cigarettes and Whiskey and Wild, Wild Women (underlined in this poem are the words: Do I not look in the mirror, these days, and see a drunken rat avert her eyes?)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Since I'm going through the absolute shittiest of shitty years right now, I think I'd better check this book out, no?

Star said...

no, for you i suggest the works of Mo Willems. that's my prescription for you.