Friday, April 15, 2022

Taking the Day Off

It started with a text on Tuesday:




I was so excited that Jax wanted to hang out with me since he has off for Spring Break. Like the boy you have a crush on in school and will do anything to be near them, I immediately reached out to one of my managers, made sure there was enough coverage for Friday, removed one of my days off from September, put in for this Friday off, texted my sister-in-law to make sure I could kidnap Jax and then called him to say I was playing hooky and that we would be hanging out all day! 


I picked him up at MeMom and Pop's at 11ish, then we went over to LesbiVeggies for a yummy lunch. Or so I thought. For the second time they have screwed me over and been closed with zero notice. I had called Wednesday to make sure they would have their regular hours, was assured they would, then drove all the way over there today, parked outside the place and saw a note on the door that they would be doing takeaway orders only. LAME! So we went to the library and then to Healthy Garden for some grub and chit chat.




At 2ish we headed to see Syd at All Fired Up. Jax painted his stealth bomber jet and I picked out a little gingerbread ornament. I'm no artist and didn't want anything that I'd screw up. I started painting him and the brushstrokes were all over the place, like when a three year old colours. I was berating myself and getting angry for being such a loser and basically throwing a tantrum. Jax switched into adult mode, calming me with Bob Ross-like words: "I think it looks great! Really. I wouldn't lie. It's abstract and can look however you want. It doesn't have to be perfect because you're just expressing yourself." Eventually I calmed down and even though my ginger-man looks far from perfect, I did have fun and we are SO going back again, even though the prices there are sky-high.




(I named my Gingerbread-man Damien after Fr. Damien since today is Father Damien Day.)

After hugs to Syd we dashed over to see Nana Rose for a bit, then two hours of coding class, followed by a pit stop at Whole Foods for some snickety-snacks (cookies) for the ride home. We listened to Henry Winkler narrate Here's Hank: Everybody is Somebody and went back to see MeMom for Jackson to deliver the Easter egg he made her. Finally we arrived back to his house by 10 for a quick smoke break in the garage with Xavier and Mary and then hugs goodbye. It was definitely a day jam-packed with good times, great conversation, lovely company, and fun memories. We are already talking about when we can go back and this time bring Nana Rose!

No comments: