Friday, May 8, 2020

Birthday Month Serenade from My Hero (May 2020 Donations)

A couple days ago Kathleen Hanna posted a message on her IG account about something called Cameo. So I dashed over to the site to check it all out. It's kinda cool...you pay a specificied amount of money and it goes to Ms. Hanna's charity of choice (Peace Sisters, which I mentioned back in July of last year). In a few days you then receive a sort of personalised mini video. Kinda neat-o burrito, huh? 

I registered an account, filled in all the info and under occasion I chose Pep Talk. There was a box where you could send brief instructions (??) for Ms. Hanna. I have tickets for when Bikini Kill comes to Philly. The May show had been postponed and I was getting cold feet. It was starting to feel like The Nap all over again. (I had purchased tickets to see Alexandra Billings but no one wanted to go with me and I was so stressed out about having to navigate the train at Penn Station to get back to Jersey that I just didn't go.) Anyways, this is what I put: Hello hello! Um...I guess I kinda need a little support regarding the Bikini Kill concert in Philly 11/22. I have my ticket but I'm scared that if I go I'll look stupid or feel like a huge dork. Any words of wisdom to boost m'confidence a bit? Thx! ♥

Today I got the video and she was so sweet and funny and real. At the very end she went into the shower (the best place for singing) and sang a bit of Bikini Kill's Carnival (which I really liked before but now even more so!). Here's a little clip that I'm willing to share.


Here is more information on May's donation:

Tees 4 Togo

100% of the profits from TEES 4 TOGO go to Peace Sisters a group started by Tina Kampor who has been sending money back to Dapaong, Togo for 15 years so girls in her hometown can attend school.

Each shirt costs $40, which is how much it costs to send a girl to school in Togo for one year.  

The sweatshop-free shirts are collaborations between the artists and the performers who inspired them. They all donated their time and likeness to help girls in West Africa receive the educations they deserve.

- Kathleen Hanna

Please join me in the Low Budget Philanthropy movement and help out your community and beyond in the simplest way - donating any amount to whatever charity or organisation that you care about!

No comments: