Monday, April 10, 2023

Three Years Later...

...and I finally went to the Bikini Kill show! In truth, I had been excited at first and then when it sank in, I was dreading it. I originally bought the tickets as a bday adventure for me and Zach. Well, he was 15 then and now, at almost 19, I know he's not remotely interested in seeing a band he doesn't know just for the fun of an evening with me. So I realised last year that I was gonna end up going solo. I mentioned the concert to Bella and Kay but could tell they didn't want to go and were too embarrassed to say no thanks. Sooooo....April 7th at 2:45pm I decided to text Marina and just see if maybe she was free for the evening. To my insane delight she was!! We got there at twenty after eight, chatted/shouted at each other during the opening act (Brontez Purcell) up at the bar on the second floor, then waited and waited until Bikini Kill hit the stage a little before half past nine. Marina made the best of it (sidebar: she got all dolled up for our night out - skinny jeans, black boots, black tank, 90s flannel shirt, full face o' makeup and did her hair in sassy curls!), seeing as she couldn't understand a single word that was sung, and we hung around until the end of Rah! Rah! Replica. I knew that they would close with Rebel Girl and felt like I could leave and feel no regrets. I didn't wanna stay, fight through the line of cars trying to leave a very dodgy parky lot, only to hear one song. I was ecstatic that they played Feels Blind and felt that Marina had stood on an uncomfortable floor through music she didn't like for long enough. So we headed back to her place and got in two more episodes of The Last of Us. All this, plus Goldie's with Kay for lunch, made today damn near perfect.





Ha! Our view was bird's-eye at best, but it was still good to see the band on the telly!

This blurry blob is an ultra-zoomed in shot of Ms. Kathleen Hanna. 

Why they felt the need to stamp the wrist of a grey-haired old lady is beyond me. Do I look underage?? I say nay-nay. But it was the next best thing to getting a free sticker so yay for me!

Setlist:

New Radio
This Is Not a Test
Don't Need You
Alien She
Feels Blind
I Hate Danger
In Accordance to Natural Law
Carnival
Resist Psychic Death
No Backrub
Capri Pants
For Tammy Rae
For Only
Demi Rep
Reject All American
Jigsaw Youth
Sugar
Rah! Rah! Replica
Hamster Baby
Tell Me So
Magnet
Lil' Red
Suck My Left One

Encore:
Double Dare Ya
Rebel Girl

No comments: