Wednesday, August 3, 2022

June 2022 Books

* All That Heaven Allows ¹ by Mark Griffin - I started off Pride month by reading a biography of Rock Hudson. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories that shaped the man but it dealt way too much with Rock's closeted homosexuality. I wish it had focused mainly on who he was rather than who he slept with. 

♥ All In ¹ by Billie Jean King - Back in October of last year I was at Inkwood Books, in the back, looking through the dented and discounted titles. "Ooo...there's a hardcover edition of BJK's new book...I don't really need it, but let me check the price and maybe..." It was a first edition, with a tiny tear on the cover's corner, and it was five bucks. Oh, and it was a signed copy. SIGNED for FIVE BUCKS! I own something that Billie Jean King touched. How cool is that? 



Liarmouth ¹ - by John Waters - Clearly I had to purchase a signed copy of the hardcover from Atomic Books and the audiobook, since John Waters narrates. This story was all over the place crazy. While I prefer his non-fiction, this book was fun and I could so see it being made into a film.

♥ Wanderer - One of my favourite books. I've always felt that I was following behind Sterling Hayden as he painted a picture of his life on the sea and in the film industry. His honesty and character are something it seems only men of the past possess. Absolutely engrossing.

* This Time for Me ¹ - by Alexandra Billings - I ended Pride month with a book celebrating a pioneering transgender woman who I have admired for years. The book was wonderful and Alex's narration was perfect. This gal has been through so much in her life and continues to stay positive and bring light into everything she does. 

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: