Wednesday, August 31, 2022

July 2022 Books

Another Country ¹ by James Baldwin - I read this because it's Bishop's favourite book. He warned me, saying, "I love that book. It's a tough one. It was just a very raw and emotional novel. Plus Baldwin revealed a lot of truths about how people are. Just remember there aren't a lot of likable characters in Another Country. So you will have to put it down and let it settle." It was beautifully written and Dion Graham's narration was flawless, but Bish was right, there are really no redeeming characters and it was a difficult book to read/hear based on that.

* Hurry Down Sunshine ¹ by Michael Greenberg - This book was recommended to me by Maria Bamford. All I knew was that it was a memoir of a parent's experience with their child's mental illness. Author Michael Greenberg was an excellent narrator and I so admired the family's determination to help Sally overcome some truly dark moments in her young life and react with true affection.

* Left on Tenth ¹ by Delia Ephron - Autumn and I like to discuss books in our letters to one another. She usually closes her letter with a list of the handful of books she's juggling. This was one of them. It was excellent, full of humour and heartbreak and rebirth. 

* Born Standing Up ¹ by Steve Martin - I like Steve Martin the actor but I don't find his stand up to be funny at all. I think I chose to listen to this because it kept being recommended to me and because Steve narrates it. I thoroughly enjoyed the bits about his younger self and his rise to fame. Definitely worth a listen.

Here's Hank: How to Hug an Elephant ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver

Here's Hank: Robot on the Loose ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: