Saturday, July 17, 2021

On the Big Screen

Last night Zach and I went to The Colonial for the 9:45 showing of one of my favourite-favourite films of all time: Clue! We left over two hours before the show was to start and thank Christ for that because Phoenixville was a cluster-eff with next to no parking. We drove around for at least 25 minutes and then finally, just when I nearly threw in the towel, a spot appeared and we were golden. We still had twenty minutes or so until the show started which gave us time to peepod and grab Zach some snacks before settling in to our usual seats up in the balcony. The turnout was pretty good and I was stoked that this was gonna be a fab experience. Then as the last trailer played, a group of twenty-something assbaskets and their booze stumbled to their seats talking as if they were in their living room. I wanted to scream "How is this happening?" and "Be silent!" or more to the point, "Shut the fuck up before I fucking beat the hell out of every one of youse." It's as though they'd never been to a movie before. One or another of them was constantly getting up and going out for more booze or whatever and continued to "whisper" and be super annoying. But the movie was glorious up there, or rather down there, on the big screen. I was the only one that laughed when Martin Mull said, "I came into money during the war, when I lost my mommy and daddy." How did no one else find that to be utterly hysterical?! Anyway, we had a decent time and then as the drunkest of the jackholes were filing out, he stopped in front of us to slur something. I usually want to always be pleasing and get people to like me, until that line is crossed. When it is, watch out. I will be rude as hell and completely unapologetic. I looked at him and in my nastiest and most condescending tone said "excuse me?" and he started to ask a question that I think was supposed to be the set up for a joke. Something like, "what do you call a.... in the...." I don't like drunks. Never have. I don't find them funny or amusing. So I shooed him away with my hand and said something along the lines of "no thanks, we're not interested - BYE." He stumbled away and said something about "that was real shitty." I clearly made him feel small and that made me feel slightly vindicated. (Zach promised never to behave like that.) It was such fun to catch up with Zach and daydream about next August/September and maybe having him come along to Ireland with me if I am able to return to my home-away-from-home! It would be so great to show him all the best spots and maybe discover some new ones.


No comments: