Friday, May 14, 2021

Tina

I dropped my Hulu subscription and picked up HBO Max for the next month or so. (Primarily I signed up because (at last) every episode of The Nanny is streaming!) After adding that to my watch list I checked to see what documentaries have been added since July of last year. That's when I found the new doc about Tina Turner. The first cd I ever bought was Simply the Best from the BMG mail order service back in the very early 90s. (Remember BMG and Columbia House??) The first time I listened to it was on a car ride to North Jersey to visit and stay over Amy's house. I slipped the cd into my Discman and played it the whole way there. (I would go on to listen to this album over and over. In my teenage bedroom I would lip sync to Streisand and Tina more than any other artist.) At dinner one night I remember asking Amy's Dad what he thought of Tina Turner. I love his response. He didn't look up from his plate or stop eating, he just paused in between bites and declared, "What's not to like?" Tina was a really solid documentary and I love the happy ending. It's nice that Tina and Erwin found eachother and are still so very much in love. 


Seeing Lionel Richie and Tina Turner in Virginia 21 years ago was an incredible experience. Ms. Turner was 60 and tore the stage up. A powerhouse performer.

No comments: