Thursday, May 20, 2021

Scents Memory


• Moth balls - They remind me of Nana Irma and every home she ever had. When I worked at Pier 1 something came in with moth balls and I stole one and kept it in my car until too many passengers complained. It's my number-one all time favourite smell in the entire world.

• Paper - A friend from youth said that my bedroom and then later, my homes, all smelled like paper. It must be all the book, journals, stationery, magazines, cards, letters, envelopes, and notepads I have. Whenever anyone asks what I'd take to a desert island I would always say unlimited paper and writing utensils.

• Basil - I love love love the smell of fresh basil. It is so good. If I'm in the market and see a basil plant I have to go over and suck up a big ole snort of its aroma. Reminds me of all the times I would go to Bertucci's with Mum and Terri, Donna, Ashlee, Wayne, and solo for pick up, and they would give a little extra basil shreds on the side. 

Cynthia Sylvia Stout - This fresh and gorgeous shampoo smells absolutely out of this world. I fear for the day when Lush discontinues it... Always reminds me of my brothers and their love of all things beer.

King of Misrule - Another scent tied to the peepod is this fabulous shower gel. It smells so fresh and fragrant and takes me back to that Christmas I spent in Dublin where I first discovered this at Lush on Henry Street.

• Cooking Spices - When I make a tray of roasted veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, bell peps, onion, mushrooms, & lil' tomates) I douse them with curry powder and cumin (plus salt and pepper). The best is if I go out later on and then when I come home - as soon as I open the door the lingering scent hits me. Makes me feel like a real grown up that knows how to cook, even though I really can't. (Second runner up to this smell is when I make home fries with garlic, basil, and oregano.)

Coconut Cocoa Tea - This tea isn't much on flavour as it is on aroma. When I go to open the tea canister, I take a whiff and then with each sip I catch it all over again. It's subtle but oh-so-yummy! I introduced this to Kay when we went to Wing's Castle and she loves it as much as I do. Can't take a sip without travelling back in my mind to playing the Tim Tam Slam with her.

• Perfume - Rapture by Victoria Secret was worn originally by Kathleen in senior year of high school and I still have a couple bottles. Karen from Borders always wore Calvin Klein's Escape and I loved when she walked past and left a bit of it's fragrance clinging to the air. China Musk will always always always remind me of Wayne's mother Nancy, Mum's bestie who I completely adored my entire life. 

• Potato Chips - Two memories are tied to this - first, when opening a fresh bag of regular salted, no nonsense potato chips, that initial scent is exactly what Marina's farts smell like. It's uncanny. Second is the first bite and the smell of the single chip - that instantly reminds me of when my grandfather told us of the time he and his childhood friends picked up a barrel of potato chips that fell off the back of a cart. They skipped school, carried it to the woods and ate the entire thing. He never had another chip again.

• Cranberry Balsam - Years ago Pier 1 created the best candle in the universe and then, of course, discontinued it. And they wonder why they went bankrupt and had to close all their shops. People would come in to the store in November asking, "when will you be carrying the Cranberry Balsam candles?" It is still the best candle scent ever and I thankfully kept the room spray and still have a bit of potpourri left. Oh, and once the pillars burned down I hollowed them out a bit and burn unscented tealights in them. So I still have the remains to sniff from time to time.

No comments: