Friday, May 11, 2018

Thirty Years Ago

It was May 11th, 1988 when my childhood friend Rachel and I met our idol, Ann Jillian, after her performance at The Academy of Music in Philadelphia. We were eleven years old and completely and totally obsessed with all things Ann. Ever since seeing her as Cassie in reruns of It's a Living we just knew that this lady was special. Rachel and I watched The Ann Jillian Story so many times that it bordered on psychotic and unhealthy. When not taking in back to back viewings of Ann's life story, we would binge on her performances in Alice in WonderlandEllis Island, Jennifer Slept Here, and Mr. Mom. For those of you not in the know, Ann Jillian is a singer as well as a stage, television, and film actress who is effortlessly funny and original in her comedic deliveries, while just as superb when turning in a dramatic role. When she sings her voice is unique - one of a kind, and she possesses an inexplicable way to make a song spin around you and hold you in an embrace. It still to this day amazes me that she did not release more albums and have more songwriters throw their words and music at her. Ann Jillian has a powerhouse voice that could have made a Diane Warren song something even more spectacular and given the likes of Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Celine Dion, Shirley Bassey, and Ms. Streisand a run for their money. She is that gifted. Meeting Ann Jillian was one of the best moments of my life and I still absolutely adore this woman. I wish for her all the happiness in the world.

(This autographed pic of Ann with Natalie Gregory from Alice in Wonderland hangs beside my bed to this day.)

(I originally posted and discussed this on May 11th, 2012, but updated for the latest anniversary. ps - I would love to see Ann make an appearance on a handful of eps for the next season of Grace & Frankie - she would bring so much to that show!)

No comments: