Sunday, May 20, 2018

Link Link Circus


Earlier today Kim and I went to New York to see Isabella Rossellini's latest monologue, Link Link Circus. It was really good and had me laughing out loud, when I wasn't suppressing "awwwwws" at her adorable pupper, Peter Pan - Pan for short.

After the show, we took straight to the basement to use the loo and leisurely wandered back upstairs. When I reached eye level with the floor I saw lil' Pan and then I saw her owner, Ms. Isabella Rossellini. She was chatting with producers and family members of the people that assisted with the production. I was not going to approach her, but rather stayed back just to watch her and think, "Wow, that is Isabella Rossellini. Cinema royalty." Kim wanted a photo with her or a selfie. I refused. I wasn't going to ask for a photo and I wasn't going to pose for one or take one. It just felt like it would have been an invasion of privacy. (Crikey, I didn't even take a pic of Pan, and I kinda wanted to...) I would rather not have a photo of someone than get a picture but be made to feel super awkward; as if I was putting them out or annoying them. It's like asking for an autograph. I just don't like it. I much prefer the memory of meeting celebrities such as Noel Gallagher and Dan Aykroyd and Bruce Campbell more than having a photo taken with them or an autograph. I like that I spoke with them and had a real (albeit brief) human interaction. Is it fun to do a brag-post on Instagram so everyone can get all excited? Heck yeah. But not for the price of even a little humiliation. Kim did say "Thank you for a great show" as Ms. Rossellini walked past, and she smiled, said "thank you" then "ciao" as she left. It doesn't technically count as meeting her, but she did speak to Kim and smile at me, so that was enough. That was cool. And she is truly even more breathtaking in person, if you can believe it.




(lovely photo of Ms. Rossellini © Brigitte Lacombe - kidnapped from visiteursdusoir)

No comments: