Monday, September 25, 2017

The Sisters Brothers

I'm taking a break from my silly romance novels and diving in to a good ole fashioned western. I'm only a little ways in so far, but I really like Patrick DeWitt's writing style AND that the chapters are short. Short chapters are the best. You feel like you've accomplished something and want to push on through to the very end. Long chapters are so defeatist. At least I think so. Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers that there's not any graphic rape scenes, scratch that, ANY rape scenes and nothing too horrific or crazy violent. I'll be sure to stop back and leave my final thoughts once I've finished it!


(October 23, 2017 12:17AM. I liked this book. I was apprehensive at first, but I grew to truly like Eli Sisters, as was clearly the author's intention. From the very beginning this book reminded me of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unforunate Events. I only read the first three books because I couldn't bear the constant let downs and just knowing that no matter what, misery would befall those children. I instantly intuited that The Sisters Brothers would not have the happily ever after ending, no matter how much I hoped for it. I won't go into any details, but I really did enjoy this book, especially the style it was written. It gave a very specific voice to Eli and that helped to paint a vivid image in my mind of who he was. I liked how Eli was a fully realised character; a complex man of many emotions, opinions, and thoughts. I discovered just yesterday that a film version is in the works. The actors slated don't match what I envisioned and I immediately dismissed the possibility of ever seeing it. Then I noticed the director: Jacques Audiard. "Damn," I thought aloud, "now I think I gotta give it a shot.")

No comments: