Tuesday, March 31, 2015

It's Really Not

I remember around Christmas of 2005, Pax, husband of Bishop, talked about the overuse of the word amazing. He made one of the most brilliant statements of all time by saying, "Amazing is the new dreadful." Since then, I too have noticed how that one word has been worn down to the nubbin. I watched up to season five of Parks and Recreation and I'm not kidding, every damn episode has the word amazing at least once, usually two to three times, and also, another horrifically butchered word, literally. Which people tend to use when saying something that is anything but literal. You know, I can understand when someone in every day life uses these words, but what I cannot tolerate is when writers use it. I had to stop watching Parks and Rec at season five when they said amazing EIGHT TIMES in the span of a single 21 minute episode. There are so many other words to use - remarkable, outstanding, marvelous, astonishing, wonderful, fabulous, fantastic - why is it that everyone is obsessed with this one word? It's maddening. Right up there with the folks that think verbiage means wording. Guess what, it doesn't.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing is AH-Maazing.