Monday, March 9, 2015

The Punk Singer

When I first saw a clip of this film on YouTube about three years ago, I knew it had the potential for absolute greatness. I came across it on Netflix about a year ago and since then I have watched it at least a dozen times. It's a beautiful portrait of a truly inspiring woman. I loved the scenes of her relationship with her husband (love that fella!). I wanted to see more of the two of them together and also hear more from her fellow musicians. Kathleen seems so genuine and grounded; incredibly intelligent and sophisticated but also very accessible. She comes across as a real person and not some creature on a pedestal that can't be bothered with the masses. My one wish is that the Julie Ruin album is re-released. The copies available on Amazon are like a hundred and fifty bucks. That's just crazy town. Until then, I can keep on listening to Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, and The Julie Ruin!


(photo kidnapped from collider)

No comments: