Monday, July 21, 2014

James Garner

Xavier texted me yesterday morning to tell me that James Garner had passed.

(Does anyone actually like The Notebook for any other reason than the moments between Gena and James? Aside from their scenes I pretty much just hit fast-forward.)

Ever since I was in the fifth grade I've had a love affair with old Hollywood. Bogart, Bacall, Cary Grant, Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Irene Dunne, Greta Garbo, and so many more. I remember getting a book from the library when I was about twelve that was filled with photographs of Hollywood stars at home with their families. Ernest Borgnine was one, with his fabulous grin, Dean Martin, looking wonderful as always, and then James Garner with his wife and daughters. He looked so sweet and genuine and like the ultimate good guy. Reading his book The Garner Files was a treat and I think he really was the real thing. 
(Here's my all time favourite photo of James Garner taken in Hollywood in 1949. What a dreamboat...)

No comments: