Saturday, April 26, 2014

Best Lullaby

My father and I were never really very close. He was a great guy - funny, often to the point of silly, kind, respectful, and open minded; a characteristic rarely found in men of his age. But we never had much of a relationship, at least not the kind I would have liked; one that involved phone calls and text messaging and conversations about who we are, how we became that person, and what we wanted out of life. Even though we were not what I wished we would have been, I am fortunate enough to have several good memories of him. My fondest memory was when I was about four years old. My mother was out for the night and Da was in charge of putting me and my older brother to bed. I have always been a stubborn girl and stood my ground as I informed my father that I could not possibly fall asleep until someone sang to me. I vividly remember his exhausted sigh as he admitted that he didn't know any songs. With shock in my voice, and perhaps a slight tone of superiority and condescension, I said, "Not even Mary Had a Little Lamb?!" He sheepishly replied, "No." I wasn't about to let him off the hook. I needed a song and he was going to perform or I was simply going to refuse to fall asleep. He finally acquiesced and softly sang what soon became my favourite lullaby - The Marine Corps Hymn.

No comments: