Friday, September 13, 2013

This Must Be the Place

How the hell did I even find out about this film? All of a sudden I found myself watching it and being completely lost in Sean Penn's performance. I've always known he was a truly talented actor but for some reason I always think, "Ahhh....he can't pull that off..." Especially when I heard he was playing Harvey Milk. Really? Sean Penn is gonna play Harvey? I mean I don't think I've ever seen Sean Penn smile and when anyone thinks of Harvey they think of his big gorgeous grin. Yeah. Then I saw Milk and it was an utterly flawless performance never to be topped. But I don't know...This Must Be the Place just stayed with me and I've never seen Sean Penn in a role that was anywhere near this character. The hair and makeup, the posture, that voice!, and especially the way he projected his voice, it was all just so original and beautiful and I think it's Penn's best yet. Oh that scene with David Byrne...I just can't stop thinking about this weirdly bizarre, strangely touching and unique movie. I have no clue who else out there liked or can appreciate it, but it was truly an experience to watch.


(photo kidnapped from collider)

No comments: