Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lars & the Real Girl

Truth be told, I had no idea who Ryan Gosling was until about six years back when my grandmother raved about this handsome young actor. He was in The Notebook, which Nana just loved and I just sort of liked. It was okay, but Gosling and McAdams' characters annoyed me to no end - until they became James Garner and Gena Rowlands. If the whole movie was Garner and Rowlands I probably would have enjoyed it. But I didn't. I dismissed Gosling as just another pretty boy actor. A Channing Tatum, if you will. And that's not to say anything against Channing Tatum, as he seems like such a sweet guy and I did like him in Haywire. But Magic Mike?? Ugh. Don't even get me started.

Anyways, when I first saw the trailer for Lars and the Real Girl I was so not interested. Then Jack at the library suggested I give it a try and it was completely endearing and wonderful. Emily Mortimer - who I have loved since Dear Frankie back in 2004 - delivered a truly standout performance and the townspeople stole my heart. Lars was one of those films that leaves you feeling like you just had a big ass mug of the best hot cocoa ever.

(photo kidnapped from worldofvintagepearl)

No comments: