Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 1

We arrived in Rome at about 8am after getting no sleep on the flight. I kinda figured this since I hadn't been on an airplane in 23 years. The ride was fine though, but the shuttle driver that took us from Fiumicino to our hotel was a madman. I mean, I know driving in Rome is second only to Cairo, but Lord Jesus, this guy was out of control. Going up one way streets, pulling a u-turn in the middle of an intersection and all but running down any pedestrian in his path. Oh, and he sucked at driving stick. I felt every gear as it slammed into place. He was very nice but he should have his license revoked. By the grace of God, we finally reached Universo Hotel but had to sit around the lobby for a few hours until we could check in. I was nauseous as hell from the drive and just needed to sit while Nicole was chain smoking out at the curb. We walked around a bit near the hotel, but I wanted to lay the hell down.
We finally checked in and proceeded to somehow get locked out on the balcony. Seven floors up. Nicole in her pj's and no socks and me without a jacket. We were fucked. Royally so. I yelled down to a fella on the street and told him we were locked out - stupid Americans. He told management and they sent someone up. Hurray - we're saved! Not quite. I had dead bolted the door, so they were unable to swipe the key card and get in. So this wonderful Filipino man with a gorgeous Italian accent climbed over the ledge from the adjoining balcony and broke us back in through the sliding glass door. Humiliation galore. Time for bed!

No comments: