Monday, October 1, 2012

Lizzie Velasquez

(photo kidnapped from wix)

Reading Be Beautiful Be You has been such a treat. I love an underdog - I've been one since 4th grade (that's when the proverbial "wheels fell off") - so when I heard about Lizzie Velasquez I had to check out one of her books. Lizzie is inspiring, funny, and comes across as genuine and kind. She's a Christian and most times when authors start throwing around the God-talk, I'm turned off and close the book. I don't mind people's beliefs, I just don't want it jammed down my throat. Lizzie is a rare writer whose religious comments don't piss me off. She mentions certain prayers and I find myself feeling comforted because she says it in a way that doesn't seem like she's trying to convert the reader. Her writing is really refreshing, especially from such a young voice. While getting to know Ms. Velasquez I feel that, well, if this were the late 90s into the early aughts, I'd be tempted to say You go, girl. But alas, that would be so cheesy that we'd all need crackers. Instead, I'll just wait and watch to see what she accomplishes with the rest of her lovely life.

No comments: