Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's Always Something


Gilda Radner's book, It's Always Something, was one of the best autobiographies I've read. And I've read plenty. I had bought it at The Book Trader on South Street back on June 10th 1996 with Lori for $5.95. Its previous owner, Denise Kobos, had left a small yellowed newspaper clipping about the book's release just inside the title page. I do so love used books that include something from the previous owner; a signature, a bookmark, something.

Having gotten around to reading It's Always Something about three years ago, I already knew the ending because Gilda is no longer with us. However, with every turn of the page, reading about how she dealt with her diagnosis - her positive outlook, her drive to beat it, her supportive husband, friends, and family, and her change in diet - I kept hoping that she'd kick cancer's ass. But she didn't. It's incomprehensible that she did everything right and should right now be walking to raise money for the fight against cancer and speaking about her survival. But she's not and that is what makes it so hard to close the book that ends with hope, but in reality know that it just came to an end. Oh, how I love that Gilda Radner, though. The short time she was here, she rocked the house, baby.

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

That book packs a wallop! It's a crime Gilda's not here. I've always had a very soft spot for Gilda - she was a true original. Right after she died, Steve Martin happened to be hosting SNL and as a tribute in her honour they replayed that funny yet touching dance routine between them when Gilda and Steve re-enacted the "Dancing in the Dark" number from THE BAND WAGON. I can never watch that without getting choked up.