Friday, May 4, 2012

Happy Bday, Keith!


Thanks to Google, I remembered it's Keith Haring's Bday - they honoured him with a Google Doodle. Keith is my all-time favourite artist and I absolutely adore his vibrant, fun, outspoken, often shocking work. When I worked at the café there was this one customer, Gregory who was a bit of a germaphobe, quiet, and a little awkward. Clearly, I adored him. On our first meeting he asked if I was an artist, since I had purple spiked hair and dressed like a street urchin. I was used to this, I either got asked if I was an artist or a drummer. I am neither. Then we got to talking about who we liked and I said Keith was my fave. Gregory told me that he worked in NYC across from The Pop Shop and I was immediately jealous. Two weeks later he returned, having bought me a Keith Haring shirt from the store. It was black and had a Barking Dog on one side and The Radiant Baby on the other. It fit perfectly, like no other shirt ever had, and I wore it til the underarms were discoloured white and it grew tiny holes where my belt and apron ties rubbed against it. I will never get rid of it. I may actually chop it up and turn it into a pillow, but not yet. I am a woman who never, ever forgets a kindness.

No comments: