Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Best Childhood Memory

This one didn't come to me as quickly as I thought it would. Usually I always have an answer to nearly any question. But, eventually my best childhood memory came to me.
When I was probably about four, my mother and I would drop my older brother off at school. Occasionally, my mother and I would go to the local mall, most likely Neshaminy, to walk around. We had very little money growing up, every penny was budgeted, so Mum introduced me to Window Shopping. I'd be in the stroller or at her side on foot and we would "walk a mall" and look in the windows. Not to buy, just to look and talk about what we liked behind the glass. Only once do I remember seeing something and getting it. There was a tiny porcelain Siamese kitten on a piece of paper that was the size of a thumbnail. Decades later I saw the same one for sale and it was only twenty-five cents, which explained everything. I of course, still have it, as I never dispose of anything that has even the slightest sentimental value.
Another afternoon we went to the mall and each had a slice of pizza with mushrooms. Another time we met my great uncle for breakfast (his treat I believe) at a pancake joint. I can still see the view as I walked with my hand in my mother's towards the door to get in our old green Comet. Nothing spectacular ever happened on those afternoons - it was just an ordinary moment in my life, but those ordinary moments are what make up my extraordinary life.

No comments: