Monday, August 29, 2011

Money Can't Buy It

When I was little I used to pester the ladies who lived in the house behind ours on a weekly basis. I would randomly knock on their door and ask to play with their dogs, Max and Shorty. There was one time when I was about four that I stopped over; Max and Shorty's mom said that she was about to go out and that it wasn't a good time. Then I vividly recall her asking me, somewhat jokingly, if I had any single uncles. I told her my Uncle Roy wasn't married. She asked if he was rich and I said, "No, but he lifts weights." I knew so little about my uncle at that age aside from the fact that he was quiet and kind and had weights in the basement where he worked out. Then Max and Shorty's mom chuckled and brought the conversation to an end. As I walked down the driveway I remember judging her. "Rich??? Who needs money when you could have someone like my Uncle Roy marry you and love you til the end of time? She's stupid."



4 comments:

Cerpts said...

Yes, she was.

Star said...

but to give her credit, she certainly left quite an impression on me. i've never been a woman concerned with the financial status of a gentleman caller.

Cerpts said...

That's why you married me!

Star said...

haha!! but we're rich in love, baby!