Monday, November 9, 2009

Diner Days

Growing up in South Jersey, diners were a part of my existence from the very beginning. It followed me through my years in high school and college when cash was short and the local greasy spoon was all me and my crew could afford. South Jersey diners like Ponzio's, The Pallas, Sage, Medport, Olga's, Crystal Lake, Marlton, and Country Club helped shape my love of pancakes at 2am. Oh, but I would be remiss in not mentioning my very first diner experience at The Aramingo Diner in Port Richmond, Philadelphia with my godmother. If memory serves, she allowed me to order hot chocolate with tons of whipped cream just as the sun was coming up. Aunt Regina was the sort of godmother that let you get away with all the things your parents felt was inappropriate. It's what endeared her to me. I wait with bated breath for my next chance to enjoy a black and white shake, grilled cheese on rye with tomato and a huge side of fries. Mmm...

Inspiration in the form of...
films - Diner, Pulp Fiction, and Untamed Heart
music - Greasy Spoon by The Crusaders, The Waitresses, Tom Waits' Nighthawks at the Diner album, Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega
art - Edward Hopper's Nighthawks
television - Seinfeld and 90210

(photo of Olga's Diner by Pax Romano)

No comments: