Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Dark Forest - Pilot

The first official broadcast of the best radio program ever to exist occurred on April 14th of 2005. The DJ, Rickster Rick. The Station, unknown. I have in my possession all 23 broadcasts on compact disc and aside from possibly Rickster Rick himself, I believe that I am the only other person to own The Dark Forest catalogue.

April 14th's broadcast was a Special that heavily featured Lou Reed, especially his album "The Raven." That evening's Dark Forest also spun tracks by The Kaiser Chiefs, Lene Lovich, Nick Drake, Sufjan Stevens, and Eartha Kitt, to name a few. My favourite song from that night was Tears for Fears' "When In Love With a Blind Man." I had never heard it before and instantly loved it. Commercial breaks were brought to us by Jean's West and 501 Pacific, on the corner of Pacific and Montgomery in San Francisco. It's the leader of men's and women's fashions in the Bay Area. Who knew?

Rickster Rick has, for the moment, ceased spinning those phonograph records for his adoring listeners, but something tells me that the airwaves will someday soon be blessed with that soulful, liquid caramel voice of his. For the moment, I will continue to listen to past recordings from The Dark Forest and from time to time, give you, dear readers, a glimpse of just what you all are missing. Come back to the five and dime, Rickster Rick, Rickser Rick...
(photograph of lou reed by julian schnabel)





1

6 comments:

emily rose said...

you may be the only one who owns said recordings but i can assure you youre not alone in enjoying that silky stranger's voice on the radio waves (and by that i mean the cd tracks) - RR come out of hiding and grace us again with your sassy quips and great hits!!!

Star said...

silky vocal chords indeed! and i heard a rumor that there will be a new dark forest broadcast very soon and i can't wait!!

Cerpts said...

I heard a rumour, ooo ooo i heard a rumour they say you got a broken heart ooo ooo i heard a rumour oo oo baby

Cerpts said...

23 episodes???? Have there really been that many??? Wait, I know a secret. The first episode you actually don't have and have never heard: the New Year's Eve episode. However, that is in fact the only episode I own on cd. You are, in fact, the sole curator and owner of the other 23 episodes on cd -- the only one in the whole world who has 'em. Even I don't have that honour!

Cerpts said...

And that Tears For Fears song "When In Love With A Blind Man" is a b-side only that I had I believe on the original 45 for "Head Over Heels". I liked it a lot all this time and you has good taste, ma'am.

Star said...

a new year's eve special!!?? i had no idea. i am beyond intrigued.