Saturday, June 10, 2023

May 2023 Books

♥ Play It Again by Stephen Humphrey Bogart

♥ Honey Baby Mine ¹ by Diane Ladd and Laura Dern - An absolutely exceptional series of conversations between mother and daughter, covering so many topics and working through old pain and coming out closer than ever. 

* I Remember Nothing ¹ by Nora Ephron - I first listened to/read this back in October of 2018 and it was the perfect listen while at The Little Pink Barn working on a puzzle. This woman was brilliant and hilarious.

* A Quilt for David ¹ by Seven Reigns - This short book of poems about Dr. David J. Acer. I won't describe it. It needs to be read or listened to in order to fully immerse oneself into fear, lies, betrayal, ignorance, and hatred that cloaked David in his final days of life. A brutal story told beautifully and with incredible grace.

Midnight in the Piazza by Tiffany Parks - I loved this book! It centers around a young girl who feels out of place, is set in Rome, and the storyline revolves around art. Autumn's daughter read it a couple years back and when she told me the title I instantly made a note of it. I'm so glad I could buy a second hand copy and speed through it.

* A Short History of Nearly Everything ¹ by Bill Bryson - Xavier recommended this audiobook to me a few years back. I added it to my Audible library and moved on. Late last year I was setting up my journal/diary for 2023 and put this on the list of must-reads for the year. It was a long book (the title pretty much prepares one for that!) and some of it was a bit over my head, but all in all, it was fascinating and the narrator was pure perfection. 

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: