Tuesday, June 13, 2023

What I Love About Kay


• She is one of the few people in my life that actually reads this blog.
• Keeps in touch with me - it's not always me that's reaching out to her.
• Since childhood, she has always asked how I am. This is something most children and young people never think to ask of the grown-ups in their lives. They naturally assume that if you are an adult then you must have your life together. Kay intuited that I was a friend, not just an old spinster auntie, and treated me as an equal. It was beyond refreshing to be around her. Still is.
• She is always game for an adventure and a mini-road trip.
• Is twenty three and since high school has had the drive, determination, and work ethic of a Depression-era father of four.
• Loves Johnny Mathis just like me.
• We have the same taste in food, mostly pizza and falafels plus coconut!
• Her kindness is second to none. 
• Knowing that in the last weeks of MomMom's life it was Kayla who bathed her and cared for her. 
• She knows me so well, as is evident in her answers to the Ask Someone list of questions I asked her in December 2022.
• Her iron will. There is nothing she can't handle. I know inwardly she struggles but on the outside one would think she were Atlas, bearing the weight of the world. She was studying to be an EMT/paramedic before looking to apply to the Fire Academy and none of the horrors that she might encounter (such as de-gloving) turned her off or rattled her resolve. If I am ever in a medical emergency, Kayla is the one I would call. 
• Has interesting interests. A lot of people in their twenties seem to just go with whatever and not really be into art or music, books, history, or anything other than what is in the moment. Kayla is into a little bit of everything. But gaming and Manga are at the top of her Hit Parade.
• She is effortlessly beautiful.
• Loves Gavin de Becker and The Gift of Fear. I gave a copy of the book to her and Isabella when they were 16 and 17 respectively and I am so grateful that they both read it and took it all in. Kay read about the ways that men try to control and manipulate women and it made her think of her first relationship. She recognised that characteristic in her former partner and since then has been able to actively seek (and find) someone who shows her respect and kindness and is deserving of her love, attention, and time. This is hugely impressive. To see the mistake you made in a relationship at such a young age and stop it from happening again is frankly, amazing.
• People have come and gone in my life, but since she was twelve years old, Kayla and I have been true friends and it has only deepened over the years. I hope to spend the rest of eternity with her because she is without question, one of my dearest friends and someone I can depend on no matter what. 























No comments: