Saturday, March 26, 2022

We Need to Talk About Cosby

W. Kamau Bell's Showtime documentary series on Bill Cosby was an astounding achievement. It covered Cosby's early career and all the way through his despicable behaviour and crimes, to his conviction, and, naturally, since life for women is nothing if not truly unfair, his release back into polite society. The interviews were beautifully done and I was so, so impressed with Kamau Bell's direction and handling of this docu-series.

(photo kidnapped from blackenterprise)

While listening to so many of the women tell of how they went home with Cosby, thinking it was to play backgammon or whatever, or even those that were invited to a "party" only to arrive and find they were the only ones, I kept thinking to myself, "Why didn't you just leave?" "Why would you take a pill or a drink from him??" Then I instantly thought, "Okay, what if this was you and say, Hugh Jackman." Now I get it. Because Hugh Jackman is known as the good guy. He's married. He's a family man. He's in musicals. If he asked me and Amy after The Music Man to come back to his place for pizza, I would not hesitate in saying yes. Now while I wouldn't take drugs from him if he offered (cause I'm a total square), I would absolutely take a drink from him and not give it a second thought as to what might be in this drink. Cosby convinced society that he was a kind, warm man who cared about education and was a devoted husband and father. That persona is why he was able to infiltrate himself into the lives of so many intelligent, confident women and take advantage of them and their ignorance of his true self. What a hugely disappointing and pathetic human Cosby turned out to be. 

(Kamau Bell photo by Aundre Larrow kidnapped from nytimes)

No comments: