Thursday, March 17, 2022

17 Days of Irish Cinema

• Easter 1916 - A well done documentary series on the men who were the signatories of the 1916 Easter Proclamation.
Evelyn - I saw this in the theatre years ago and was so impressed by Pierce Brosnan. It was nice to see it again and I love when he sang, especially The Parting Glass
• 1916: The Irish Rebellion - Another docu-series on the Rising that went beyond the info provided in the previous series. I definitely want to look around for an audiobook that will go into further detail and really learn and retain the information about such an important moment in the history of my beloved Ireland.
Bridget and Eamon - I know of this series because my neighbour in Dublin has a bit part in a couple episodes. It's a pretty hilarious show and my fave episode is the pilot, The Trócaire Box. The scene where they are in the warehouse in the North just cracked me up.
Once - Sensational music and it was so great to see a little piece of the city I miss so much.
In America - I think this may be my favourite of all Jim Sheridan movies. The cast is spectacular and it's a beautifully done film.
Sing Street - I stopped this film at the second humiliation scene. Then I looked up the film to figure out why I wanted to watch it in the first place. It mentioned the main character being an outcast and forming a punk band. "Okay, okay," I thought to myself, "I'll fast forward the scene where that stupid kid is mean to him and give it another try." I'm glad I did, and I'm really glad I skipped those scenes. The music was so good - fun and poppy - and in the end, I really loved the film. Minus those moments.
The Commitments - I remember when this film came out my friend Lori was obsessed with it and it's a good film but the soundtrack is fabulous.
Veronica Guerin - I feel like this story of a brilliant journalist's fight against drugs and crime could have been so much more riveting. Cate Blanchett was good, but the film was lacking in many ways.
Kisses - I originally saw this in April 2014 and it was just as good the second time around. Stunning performances from the two leads.
• Philomena - Judi Dench at the top of her game and even Steve Coogan was pretty good. 
The Guard - I really only watched this to see Brendan Gleeson. He didn't disappoint.
Striking Out - I still get such a charge out of seeing this show and all the little spots in Dublin that are so familiar to me. Plus the bonus of Michael Ford as Nigel Fitzjames!
Michael Collins - I had tried a few times before to get into this film but I couldn't. This time I was better prepared, having learned a bit more about The Rising and the Irish War of Independence.
My Left Foot - Do I really need to say how remarkable this film is and the performances from Daniel Day-Lewis, Brenda Fricker, and Ray McAnally? It's all been said before, I'm certain.
Calvary - The ending on the beach had me in absolute tears. Chris O'Dowd was incredible. Brendan Gleeson's portrayal of a village priest was unique and utterly flawless.
Frank of Ireland - Watched this whole series tonight with Xavier and we were cracking up. Those Gleeson boys sure are a riot. Perfect end to my seventeen days of celebrating Irish celluloid culture.

No comments: