Thursday, March 31, 2022

January - March Books 2022

•January•

* The Clue of the Velvet Mask by Carolyn Keene
* The Legs are the Last to Go ¹ by Diahann Carroll - A great lady with oodles of class. This was a good start to reading more celeb memoirs. Now I'm out to check out more of her films and maybe re-watch Dynasty.

•February•

Far from the Madding Crow¹ by Thomas Hardy - One of my favourite stories of all time featuring Gabriel Oak, my favourite fictional character. I wanted to start February with a classic love story and this one never disappoints.
The Secret of the Forgotten City by Carolyn Keene - This wasn't one of the better Nancy Drew books and I think it's because it wasn't written by Mildred Wirt Benson.
The Return of the Native ¹ by Thomas Hardy - The only way I was able to get through this dreadfully dull novel was that it was narrated by Alan Rickman. It may have been boring but I was swooning the whole time.

Love Monster by Rachel Bright
♥♥ Somewhere in Time ¹ by Richard Matheson - This was my third time listening to this Matheson masterpiece and the ending once again just destroyed me. I was sobbing at the end. 

Love ¹ by Toni Morrison

* If Beale Street Could Talk ¹ by James Baldwin - I wanted to include more black authors for the second half of February, in honour of it being Black History Month. Bishop loves James Baldwin and warned me that it was intense. It was a great book and I was especially touched by how deeply Tish's family cared for Fonny. It was infuriating at times, but it was the love part of this story that kept me listening. 

* Here's Hank: Bookmarks Are People Too ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver - I read this in book form last Summer and when I saw Henry Winkler read the audio version I just had to buy it!

•March•

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief ¹ by Rick Riordan - I read this because Jackson has read the entire series and loves it. It was okay, but I'm clearly not the demographic. 

** The Picture of Dorian Gray ¹ by Oscar Wilde - Greg Wise did a phenomenal job narrating this brilliantly original story. 

The Dubliners ¹ by James Joyce - Chris O'Dowd was an excellent narrator but Joyce just isn't for me. I'm not an intellectual and I tried Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and had to give up because I was utterly lost.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: