Thursday, January 7, 2021

Le Sirenuse Hotel

Last night I decided to pick up my novelization paperback copy of the film Only You. I bought it last year for fun, Summer reading and because I was missing Positano. For those of you not in the know, Only You is a 1994 romantic comedy with Marisa Tomei, Bonnie Hunt, Robert Downey, Jr., Joaquim de Almeida, Billy Zane and Siobhan Fallon that I saw in the old Cinemark Theatre on October 21st 1994 (for only $5.50!). The last third of the film takes place in Positano and I fell instantly in love. It became my greatest wish to one day visit Italy and especially Positano. That dream came true in 2013 with Nicole and then a solo trip in 2016. Staying at the hotel featured in the film - Le Sirenuse - was never in the cards, though. Far too expensive for this working class broad. I'd been hoping to return this year but finances and the pandemic have brought that wish to a screeching halt. So, I cracked open the book and started feeding into my fantasy of "one day...". Then this afternoon I saw my phone light up and it was an email from Omaze with the subject Dream of visiting the Amalfi Coast one day? "Um, yes. Yes, I most certainly do!" I opened the email and saw this:


LE SIRENUSE!!!?!?!?! I clicked the link and read all that is offered:

YOU AND A GUEST WILL:

Be flown out to Positano, Italy for 6 days/5 nights at the 5-star Le Sirenuse hotel 

Stay in a Deluxe Sea View Suite and soak in stunning views of the Mediterranean from your private balcony 

Enjoy a $2,000 stipend, the hotel’s picture-perfect pool and renowned spa, daily boating excursions along the Amalfi Coast, pilates classes, and more luxe amenities 

Your safety and peace of mind is our top priority, so we’ll make sure this trip is scheduled when it’s safe. You’ll have until April 6, 2023 to travel.

I couldn't sign in and donate fifty bucks fast enough! Then the daydreaming kicked in to high gear. I could see David again and visit the ladies at the Lemon Shop, walk on the beach, and eat super yummy pizza! I immediately texted big brother Dave to tell him the news:





Then when I went to pick up my book and read some more I noticed the bookmarker I chose from my vast collection and I think all signs point to Positano. Cross your fingers for me!


ps - The entry for the trip to Positano goes to a wonderful cause: Black Girl Ventures. Here's some info on them:

Our mission is to provide Black/Brown woman-identifying founders with access to community, capital, and capacity building in order to meet business milestones that lead to economic advancement through entrepreneurship.

We fund and scale tech-enabled, revenue-generating businesses (under $1M) founded by people who identify as Black/Brown and woman. We ignite civic engagement and hyperlocal infrastructure at the intersection of business support services, supplier diversity, social and financial capital.

Founded in 2016 by Serial Entrepreneur and Computer Scientist Shelly Bell, Black Girl Ventures addresses the unique challenges Black and Brown women face in accessing social and financial capital to grow their businesses. The BGV Style competition is the largest pitch competition globally for Black women founders. It uniquely combines the premise of Shark Tank and Kickstarter by activating community participation in donating to support women-owned businesses directly. We have funded 76 women of color, held over 25 BGV Pitch Programs across 8 cities and served over 170 participants. 

Black Girl Ventures pledges to accelerate 100,000 Black and Brown women-identifying entrepreneurs through Community Building as a Service (CBaaS). Shifting the idea of community building from being viewed solely as a community service to a valid and viable business offering to ensure the development and growth of small businesses. 

We believe in a world where ALL ideas have a chance to succeed. 

Please join me in the Low Budget Philanthropy movement and help out your community and beyond in the simplest way - donating any amount to whatever charity or organisation that you care about!

No comments: