Saturday, April 25, 2020

Chickpea Curry

My first attempt at really cooking something turned out somewhat successful. I scrolled through tons of vegan/gluten free recipes on Instagram and wrote down the ones that seemed easiest. Then I ordered some kitchen supplies (large 3 quart saucepan, electric mixer, and a big ole pot), kicked up my spice collection a notch and dove in. This recipe was good and only needs a little tweaking to make it my own, but I'm excited that I feel a bit of confidence in an area where I have always felt inept and useless.



The Chickpea Curry recipe was found on @plantbased.recipes on Instagram but the recipe credit is to The Buddhist Chef

Ingreds:
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 chopped white onion
1 tbsp curry powder
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp cane sugar (I think this is too much and next time I'll half it.)
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can o' chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 can of coconut milk
salt to taste

Directions:
• In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper for 5 to 10 minutes. (I didn't use much oil except for a few spritzes of olive oil to make sure the onion and peps didn't stick to the pan)
• Add the curry powder, crushed red pepper, cane sugar, nutritional yeast, tomato paste and chickpeas.
• Sauté for about 3 minutes
• Stir in the coconut milk, add the salt and continue to cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy (10 to 15 minutes).
• Serve with rice - I went with brown.

No comments: