Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Tamarind Seed

After reading Julie Andrews' autobiographies I started to search for some of her films I hadn't seen. The first one was Our Sons which was a 1990s TV movie about her and Ann-Margret being parents to sons in a relationship, Ms. Andrews' son being Hugh Grant (nearly unrecognisable in voice as he had an American accent) and Ann-Margret's being Željko Ivanek who was dying of AIDS. I thought it was really good and geared up for my next Julie Andrews pick. The Tamarind Seed was streaming on Amazon, directed in 1974 by Blake Edwards and co-starring Omar Sharif. Then I saw the opening credits by Maurice Binder and music by John Barry. SOLD! I really, really enjoyed this tale of love and Russian spies. Julie Andrews was luminous in every frame and Omar Sharif smolders when he unleashes those seductive eyes with longing looks in Ms. Andrews' direction. Just fabulous.

(photo kidnapped from metrograph)

No comments: